Oct 4, 2014

What Did We Learn From Project Runway This Week? Season 13, Episode 11

Friends, readers, others, I have a confession to make: I started a new job this week and though I feel like my first few days as a full-time, working-out-of-the-home-and-commuting-3-hours-daily parent was a success (I wasn't the last parent at after-school pickup even once and I managed to get a vegetable on my kid's plate each night for dinner! OK, it might have been a pickle, but the bar is low after an hour and a half on the subway, people!), I have to face the facts. I don't have as much time anymore to do things like write long, thoughtful posts on Project Runway. But (BUT!) luckily for you, I have early-morning insomnia today, so I am using this quiet time to keep up my committment to you. I may not have the spare minutes to spellcheck (Saturday mornings are now for housekeeping, chores, and laundry, ugh), but I will keep this conversation going to the bitter end. If I miss something (and I will) please add your thoughts as usual in the comments below. I read every one, even if I no longer have the time to comment in return.

Last week Tim Gunn declared Alexander's plaid amoeba disaster "the most hideous garment he has ever seen IN HIS ENTIRE EXISTENCE" (emphasis mine). I beg to differ (I can remember much worse from previous seasons of Project Runway) but I think we can all agree that the ugliest thing to grace the runway this week was Korina's horrible entitled attitude during panel. 

If I wasn't already convinced she was a complete narcisscist...well, ugh. As the young people say, I just can't even with that girl. 

We'll get back to her later, because it's instructive to watch someone devolve into childish defensiveness (I hear "it's not my fault!" daily from a school-age child, so when a grown woman does the same, I have to resist the urge to order a timeout). For now, some other lessons:

Lesson 1: Trust your instincts and thou shalt be rewarded

This week's challenge combined two of my favorite reality TV shows: Project Runway and Storage Wars — which my husband and I watch chiefly for the thrill of treasure-hunting. The designers (in teams of two) were each given 500 fictional dollars to bid on the contents of five storage lockers — which would then be used as their raw materials. Like Storage Wars, they couldn't examine the contents up close, and had to assess each locker's potential fabric value based on what they could see from outside the locker. And lest you think these lockers would be full of end bolts and vintage trimmings...they actually looked pretty much like the contents of an actual storage locker, bed bugs and all:



(I was just kidding about the bed bugs. Maybe. Who knows. Watch the interview segments carefully for scratching.)

Anyway,  like the smartest Storage Wars cast members, the designers who looked past the big picture (plasticy kids toys? Yuck!) to the singular standout items were rewarded in kind. Amanda spotted a "psychedelic yeti" painting she thought could form the base of her and Kini's two-look collection (see it way in the back there?). And crazy as it seemed near the beginning of the episode, that split-second commitment (and a bag full of soccer balls) paid off for the pair:



I believe that model in the middle is actually being straddled by the psychedelic yeti, which is weird — but the graphic cropped top remains cool even on top of a hefty bag skirt. Meanwhile, Kini's soccer ball dress (at right) was the winning look (talk about painstaking work; only Kini could pull off such a feat in two days). The third look (far left) was created in the clutch after Tim Gunn dropped one of his "extra challenge" bombs on the designers and sent them to Mood to make a cohesive third look. 

Lesson 2: Everybody Loves a LBD (Little BLUE Dress)

If this season of Project Runway has a signature color, it's this:




I love this blue. I really do. And I wonder how many of Sean's looks in his Fashion Week collection will be in this shade (because let's face it, that dude is going to Fashion Week). 

Above left: the judge's loved Sean's coat made from one of those quilted blankets used to wrap your furnishings so they don't get scratched when your methed-up movers overload the elevator. I love everything quilted and blue...I'm actually kind of inspired to file this one away in my "to make" folder. 

Middle: Sean's winning look from the Emmy red carpet challenge. 

Right: Char's dress she made in ONE HOUR with the help of Sean (smart girl; when in doubt, choose blue!). This dress ultimately defeated Korina in a balls-out challenge between the two, which brings us to our last lesson...

Lesson 3: A gracious loser is better than 20 smug winners



I liked Korina and Emily's three-look collection even though it did have an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink quality to it. I guess it's because I love layers, Fall colors and covering up while still looking sexy. But the judges were not into it — and they singled out Korina for her Navaho-inspired look (above left), which they complained she kept doing again and again. 

So they challenged Korina and Char (who was also in the bottom two) to a sudden-death fashion challenge: create a whole new look in an hour from the remaining materials they had on hand. It's not surprising that Korina lost; she spent much of that hour complaining. Bitterness, my friends, does not lend itself to creating beauty: 




But the merits of this dress became secondary to the fact that Korina is an icky human being. After losing to Char she couldn't leave graciously — she had to have one last dig at a designer "who she didn't respect," pointing out that Char had already been eliminated once...and implying Char didn't deserve to be there. 

"That was five challenges ago, and I am still here," Char cooly replied (don't you LOVE this woman?).

At this point Tim Gunn enters the room and Korina attempts to make herself the victim: "Don't make this about you," she says to Char. 


"Girl, you lucky there's a camera on me right now because I could break you."


Tim Gunn's terse "It's time for you to clean up your workspace" made it clear he knew exactly what kind of loser Korina truly was (and the reason he brought back Char certainly had something to do with the fact that her character is the antithesis of Korina). 

The preview for next week's episode reveals that the previously eliminated designers will be brought back and these two women will be paired up. I don't even know if I can handle watching that, I am so mad on Char's behalf. Less drama, more dresses, Project Runway producers. 

So what did you think of this week's episode? Who made the best use of their storage locker contents? What did you think of Korina's sour grapes?

20 comments:

  1. Korina was unpleasant, but was she wrong? Char seems like a lovely person, but she's clearly being carried by the producers/ Tim. Tim saved her, then broke the one unbreakable rule to save her again, then Sean's blue one hour dress saves her when the judges "couldn't decide". Korina´s a bitch, but Char should have gone home weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like many designers on Project Runway, Char has been up and down. But let's not forget Sean's hideous "Mary Poppins Does Prada" look...we all make mistakes ;)

      Delete
  2. Pickles are vegetables. Or, are cukes "fruit" in the same way that tomatoes are? IDK, but I feel you for the sudden jolt back into the working world, childcare, commuting, etc. I never could handle it and ended up a SAHM, which I am paying for now in both age and years of experience/ladder climbing gone forever.

    I think Korina is horrible and Char is a much stronger woman than K. No matter who "deserved" to go based on design talent, K seems to forget that matters not even a little bit on this show. Has she SEEN Project Runway?

    (Love your recaps and your commitment to sacrificing sleep to keeping up with them!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it's so true. Taking time off to take care of your kids can be a major career setback. But when we're all on our deathbeds, I can't imagine we will regret those years, will we?

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the new job and thanks for getting this post out. I know it was not easy. :-) I loved Char's sudden death blue dress -- second of course to Kini and Amanda's collection. Who would have thought you could do so much with soccer balls? Korina was, as my daughter would say, a "hot mess." In earlier episodes, I found her attitude horrible and apparently the judges found her collection the same. Am happy she's off, but don't look forward to next week's drama. It seems a bit unfair to Char, but we'll see...
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I am kind of dreading seeing how those two manage to work together next week. Seems like it could be traumatic!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! I admire your stamina to work, commute such distances, parent, keep house, sew, blog, wife and on it goes. You rock! When you need a vacation and a culture shock, give me a yell! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter is all grown up now and on her own but oh, I do remember those days! It was hard to juggle family, work and raising child. I was always so tired. Thank you for this post. All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for empathizing! A good night's sleep is definitely key...

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your new job! I can't even imagine,though having a commute like yours. Yowza! I have to say, your blog is the best commentary on Project Runway. I so agree with your opinion of this past weeks show. Korina's attitude in the beginning was so obnoxious and one could tell she had entitlement issues. It was not as evident while we had to suffer through weeks of Sandyah's hideous designs. Once Sandyah was thankfully eliminated, Korina's immature behavior rapidly surfaced. As Korina's was whining about how she was so much better and was concerned about her clients, my first thought if I were her client I would so fire her. Char's elimination dress was heads above Korina's. Char has had some sewing issues, but she truly showed her true colors while Korina's showed hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, when Korina was bitching about Sandhya, I was like "Well, she kind of has a point..." but when she turned her mean girl gaze on Char, I was not impressed.

      Delete
  7. Korina clearly has the upper hand at being able to execute a design well, though i can't recall ever being totally wowed by her designs. Char obviously doesn't have the sewing skills, but she seems to have more interesting designs (minus last weeks red jumpsuit debacle). or i might be wrong, this season has been kinda snooze-worthy and i haven't kept a mental catalogue of each designer's looks... but the fact that Korina really just thought all she would have to do is show up on the runway after the hour to win was appalling. she's been full of attitude and condescension and i'm definitely not sad she's gone. also: that blue jacket is amazing, i hope you make it someday! and i loved Amanda and Kini's collection. so, so good! if Kini doesn't win, i may just make good on my threat to stop watching.

    and congrats on the new job! i can't even imagine the 3 hr daily commute, so props to you for making it to parent pick up *and* getting dinner on the table! hope all goes well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Korina had a couple great looks — but so did Char. I think that last challenge was hard on both of them, but Char was able to get in the zone and set aside anxiety and anger while she created a decent dress in an hour. She kinda crumpled after, so the pressure is clearly getting to them.

      Delete
  8. Congrats!!!

    Korina sucks. She's so insufferable. If you're so good why are you on PR? Why hasn't anyone offered to carry your designs? WHO would want to work with her?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It made me laugh that Saturdays used to be for spellchecking. 3 hours on the subway every day? My hat is off to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know. I spend a silly long time writing blog posts. 3 hours on the subway sounds bad but I make the most of it: podcasts and knitting...it's my me time!

      Delete
  10. My distaste for Korina grew and grew over the season until it exploded in indignant fury with this episode. You have to give people the benefit of the doubt with reality TV (editing can make anyone a villain)but her shit talk behind the scenes was infuriating... And her little temper tantrum here was just gross. Grow the fuck up. You do realize millions of people are watching you behave like a 5 year old, right? Narcissim, indeed. Can't wait for the reunion! its gonna be good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow.........so beautiful.
    i really love it

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...